Europe’s Online Gambling Market Booms with €108.5bn in Revenue

european online gambling market
Europe's gambling market sees growth in land-based and online revenue, driven by casino and sports betting products.

Table of Contents

The European gambling industry saw a stabilisation in its market performance in 2022, with a gross gaming revenue of €108.5bn, marking an 8% increase from the pre-pandemic levels in 2019 and a 23% rise compared to the previous year.

The growth in revenue was primarily driven by the reopening of land-based gambling establishments following the pandemic, with land-based gaming contributing 65% of the total gambling revenue, amounting to €70.3bn. Meanwhile, online gambling revenue witnessed an increase of 8% with a gross gaming revenue of €38.2bn, accounting for 35% of Europe’s total.

european online gambling market
Source: EGBA

According to Gambling Capital’s Key Figures 2022 Edition, casino games emerged as the most popular online gambling product in Europe, generating a gross gaming revenue of €14.9bn, representing 39% of the total online gambling revenue.

Sports and other forms of betting closely followed, generating a gross gaming revenue of €13.6bn, accounting for 35% of the total online gambling revenue. In comparison, sports betting accounted for the most significant share (46%) of the online revenue generated by EGBA members.

What devices do Europeans use for betting?

Furthermore, the share of Europe’s online gambling activity taking place on mobile devices continued to grow in 2022, with 53% of online bets being placed through mobile phones and tablets and the remaining 47% from desktops.

Most Popular Betting Products

The Key Figures predict that the European online gambling market will continue to expand in the coming years, with a gross gaming revenue expected to reach €54.3bn by 2027. Betting products, such as sports and other forms of betting, are expected to drive this growth, with gross gaming revenue of €17.9bn in 2022 and €20bn by 2027.

most popular betting products
Source: EGBA


In conclusion, the European gambling market has demonstrated its resilience in the face of the pandemic, with both land-based and online gambling revenue recovering and growing in 2022. The growth is expected to be fuelled by online gambling products, especially casino games and sports betting. As mobile betting activity continues to grow, online gambling operators will need to ensure that their platforms are optimised for mobile devices to capture a significant share of the market.

Share the Post:
Elly Smith
Elly Smith
Elly Smith is a journalist working full time for She is passionate about covering trends and new tech the iGaming industry.